How to Publish a Guide With Auto-Numbering Version Titles
Version Control Overview
Your documentation should be polished, professional, and always up-to-date. This means that your documentation should always be open to improvements. But not all of the changes to your documentation are immediately ready to be seen or used. Dozuki’s Version Control feature allows you to control which changes are visible to your users.
With Version Control, changes made to a guide—whether a reworded sentence or a couple of new steps—can be grouped into an unpublished new version of the document. When you are ready for these edits to become visible to all users, publish a new version of the document. Additionally, Version Control also allows you to archive past versions of a guide, so you can revisit and restore previous editions of your documents. This makes it easy to keep careful track of your guide’s history.
All How-To Guides
Creating a New Version
Once changes on a guide are ready to go live for all users to see, you must publish this new version of the guide.
Viewing a Previous Version of a Guide
Once you publish a new version of a guide, you still have the option to view all older versions of the guide, if you have Admin or Author privileges. To do so, click on the drop-down menu containing the list of all versions and select the version that you want to view.
Reverting to an Old Version
Was an inaccurate edit accidentally published? Or did something that has changed get changed back again? Version Control allows you to easily revert back to displaying an older version of your guide.
Click on the “History” tab of the guide that you would like to revert. Click on the version of the guide that you would like to revert to and click “Revert to this version.” The guide will now appear as that selected version.
If you are viewing a guide in the updated New Guide View, you must click on the "Options" tab first. A drop-down menu will appear. Select "History."
Click on the version of the guide that you would like to revert to in the Browse past guide revisions list. The selected version will appear. Click “Revert to this version.” The guide will now appear as that selected version.
Release Version Management
You can view which of your guides are up-to-date, have unreleased changes, or are unpublished using the Version Control Management Page.
This page can be found in the Document Control section in your Management Console:
You can view information about each version:
- Title - the title of the guide
- Author - the author of the guide
- Login - the user email login of the guide author
- Guide ID - the id number of the guide
- Category - the category in which the guide is organized
- Release Title - the title of the most current release version of the guide
- Release Type - the release type of the most current release version of the guide (major or minor)
- Release Date - the date the most current release version was published/submitted for review and approval
- Release Status - the status of the most current release version of the guide
- Unreleased - no release version has ever been published
- Released - current, must up-to-date approved release version with no pending changes
- Pending Approval - the most current release version has been submitted for approval and publishing
- Rejected - the most recent release version was rejected
- Closed/Cancelled - the most recent release version is closed because the approval request was canceled.
- Release URL - a link to the most current release version of the guide